When setting up your website or any other advertising materials, design is important to keep in mind. You don't want it distracting from your content (the most important aspect). At Zynnyme, we do a lot of our own design work. We created our own logo and business cards. It is fun for us. But sometimes, we get busy and can't do it all. When that happens we go to experts to help out. (This is a business tip too...you don't have to do it all, just pick the right people to help you).
Recently Miranda and I attended the Psychotherapy Networker Symposium Conference in Washington DC. We had so much fun. We wanted to have great information for people that just wanted to read about us and not stop by and chat. So we designed our flyers to hand out at the conference. We got one side designed and just didn't have time to finish. So we contacted Heather Harney from Boy vs Girl Design to help out. She created a great flyer for us to add to the other side.
So here are some tips when getting a designer to help you:
- Make sure you need a designer. Sometimes people want to pour money into a flashy handout or website, but the content or business plan is not there. Beauty falls short when their is no depth to what you are doing.
- Ask to see a portfolio. You want to get an idea of their experience and their strengths in design.
- Be clear about what you want. From size of project, quality of print, color scheme, etc. share it with the designer.
- Read your contract. Great designers have great contracts. Heather shared with me what her responsibilities were and what my responsibilities were. That meant...no surprises! This is important. Heather gave us 2 mock ups with 2 revisions and 1 final project to use. I was clear that I wanted a certain size and look with colors to match our logo.
- Know thy budget. Yes it would be nice to get Armani when all you can afford is Goodwill. If you are on a really tight budget, we recommend fiverr.com where you can get some design work done for $5 a project. But know too that you sometimes get what you pay for. Heather asked for what we wanted and then gave us a quote. That worked best for us.
So you want to see what we designed??? Come by and see us at the CAMFT Conference. We will have a booth and can't wait to meet you!
Thanks Heather for all of your help! You Rock!