Do I tweet? hoot? blog? post? Aaaahhhh!!!! Let's face it, there are so many social media sites out there, it can get a bit overwhelming. What is social media anyway? Well it is a tool to help people express themselves and connect with others, in other words, media that helps people be social. Most commonly we do this through online communities (Facebook), blogging, sharing music, videos, and pictures. That is just the tip of the iceberg. What is great about it is that you can reach more people than ever before. However, it can be distracting when you are start to look at all the different tools out there. So we want to help you focus. Here are some tips:
1. Try something out first. See if you really like it. Is it easy to use? Are you connecting with people that are important to your business objectives? If you haven't already, start with a facebook page or a linkedin account. Don't rush into signing up for everything.
2. Only do what you can manage. You could be signed up for 30 different accounts, but really and truly...are you going to keep up with it all? Whatever you do, do it well.
3. Set aside time, even if it is 10 minutes a day, to connect through social media. Like I said in #2, if you have too many accounts and can't check them then what is the point.
4. Social Media is a tool - if it feels like a burden, then you might need some consultation to find the right fit for you.
5. Don't forget to link your website to your social media platforms that you are using. You want it to be easy for others to find and connect with you.
Stay tuned for more blogs and videos on social media - how to use it ethically and how to make it relevant to your business.