Do you like twitter? Me neither. Ok... maybe that isn't completely true. But, if I'm being completely honest with you- I don't LOVE twitter.
I LOVE relationship building and connecting with awesome therapists across the world. That I LOVE! And, for a long time I haven't been sure how to use twitter to do that. However, the more I play and connect- the more fun I have.
I have good news for you too! I DO know how to help you connect with clients in your area!
How cool is that? And, maybe this process of helping teach you that skill will help me meet some more awesome therapists and counsellors on twitter so I can LOVE it ;0) Win/Win!
A few steps to turning twitter into a practice builder, and away from a time suck:
- Search Twitter for people who live around you. Put in your city name, or even try a "hashtag" like #losangeles #newportbeach or #modesto
- Follow people who look vaguely interesting. They don't even have to look really interesting for now (you can unfollow them if they are creepy or boring, etc. )
- Say hello to these people and ask them about them. Just like in a face to face conversation- just talking about yourself isn't groovy.
- As people get to know you, share your passion and heart.
- Practice the 80/20 rule- 80% awesome information and engagement written in a way that engages your ideal client, 20% actually talking about what you do.
- Consider connecting with potential referral sources, supporters, and people you can encourage in your area.
- Focus on developing real life connections from online contacts. Don't just be "twitter friends" meet people in person, chat on the phone- you will be shocked at what can develop!
- Be a force for good. Do you see something important being talked about on twitter that needs a therapists' insight? Give it! Be the person who doesn't talk about world problems- share real solutions!
Your turn. What are your twitter questions? What are your twitter tips for therapists? Maybe just share your twitter handle below and who you like to connect with!