Wordpress is all the rage right now. You have probably heard someone rave, or had your kid say "just get a wordpress site!" Unfortunately, many of these people fail to realize not everyone is technical- and not everybody thinks the same.
I have seen a lot of people spend money (or have their kid) set up a Wordpress site, only to have the website wither away-because the person doesn't actually understand how to use it!
As a healer who loves helping people and loves technology- I am kind of a weirdo. And, I have a dirty little secret... I HATE wordpress. Yep- I said it! In theory I should LOVE Wordpress- everyone says it easy, it's free, it's got fun little gadgets to add on... and yet- I don't. I was beginning to think I was crazy until I started fessing up and hearing from others who also just didn't "get" Wordpress.
Here is a list of the reasons why I don't like Wordpress:
- When I login-it feels to overwhelming. Logging into my Wordpress site takes me to a weird back-end that just doesn't feel intuitive.
- While it is free- there are definite costs associated with it. The professional version requires me to get separate hosting and to update the program manually.
- If I don't update the program manually- I can get hacked!
- I have to backup my blog manually to make sure I have it.
- If I get hacked... and I didn't backup my blog- my blog is GONE!
- There are major limitations to the look/theme
- I don't want to spend hours playing with gadgets that don't always work.
Some of you may say- but my kid says get Joomla or Drupal or some other fruit of the month free content management system (website). Guess what- they all have the same drawbacks (I've tried them all).
This may seem like a plug for my website- I don't mean it to be. I just want to let people know- if you have tried a website platform and you HATE it- it might not be you, technophobia, or a lack of knowledge- it might actually be the platform.
I urge you- don't give up! Find a platform that is intuitive to YOU. Using a bad platform is like trying to put on a dress that doesn't fit/look good/feel good. You can keep it in the back of your closet for as long as you want- but your never gonna wear it out of the house.
When you find a fabulous fit- you want to wear it every day! Here is wishing you finding your fabulous website fit!
ZynnyMe! "A Request Have the Experience of Having Technology Free You Up To Do What You Love"